It’s Halloween. Have Fun

October 31, 2020

Here we are in month eight of the pandemic. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to re-create contactless candy distribution, like that awesome dad Andrew Beattie, in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have nowhere to attach the PVC pipe. Climbing the roof doesn’t scare me, as much as falling off the roof with the sudden stop at the end. I’ll leave roof climbing to someone else. Pitching candy out the window is blatantly wasteful. I’d rather eat it myself.

If you’re not going to have trick-or-treaters this year, you might want to consider splurging on candy or treats for your household. Come on, it’s Halloween. Go to Candyland popcorn and candy shop. They have a wide variety of old-school candy favorites and popcorn. Stores are in downtown St. Paul, Stillwater, and Minneapolis. Be warned. You’ll want to set a budget for yourself before you walk in. It’s frightfully easy to spend money there. Pun intended. Check out their site and make a plan to enjoy. They have a special going on for Halloween called a Boo-box with a variety of candies grouped together. Check out the Boo-box here. Also, for an October special, Candyland has five-dollar shipping if you would like items shipped to you.

Sweet Life Lane, a mom-and-pop candy store, in downtown White Bear Lake has a wide variety of candy and chocolate treats, too. KSTP Channel 5’s local show: TWIN CITIES LIVE profiled Sweet Life Lane on their show this week. Take a look at Twin Cities Live.

Another great mom-and-pop popcorn shop is Tom’s Popcorn in South Minneapolis. They have many variations of caramel popcorn with candy mix-ins like Reese’s pieces or M&Ms. Check out the website below. I promise this will be a worthy field trip for you and yours. They have ice cream, as well. Visit Tom’s Popcorn

If you’re interested in watching movies with your friends while each of you is at home, check out Teleparty. It’s a way to watch movies when you can’t be together. You can share movies from Netflix, HBO, Hulu, or Disney. You simply send a link to everyone you want to share a movie with, and away you go. Here’s a YouTube video that explains the process:

Otherwise, if everybody has an account of their own, you can just watch together and chat online at the same time. Whatever you decide, don’t miss the chance to interact with folks.

If you’re not comfortable going out for your Halloween fun, call someone you haven’t talked to in a while. Relax, don’t rush. Have your favorite foods and beverages within reach. Take your time. Enjoy that person’s company. If socializing in groups, do so via Skype, Zoom, or FaceTime. If you like structured socializing, check out the Minneapolis online virtual game night that includes trivia, charades, and a drawing every night going well into 2021. Sign up here!

The most important aspect of celebrating Halloween, or any holiday, is the social aspect. You don’t have to dress up unless you want to. If you want to dress up, wear your favorite costume from a couple of Halloweens ago. Go to Ragstock or Goodwill. With everybody doing their Marie Kondo decluttering, you’re bound to find something you like. Otherwise, shop your closet. It’s not unusual to find things you have forgotten about. Have fun with it and include others in the process.

You don’t have to decorate your home if you don’t want to. If you have kids, decorating is a fun and safe way to set Halloween apart from the everyday. Decorate the house with what you have around and work on it as a family. Yes, we are accustomed to dressing up, partying, and collecting candy. We need to be in the moment to keep each other going. Be grateful for what you do have, especially if you have your health.

Disney streaming has movies for younger kids that aren’t scary but have a Halloween vibe like Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie. The kid-friendly movies are easy to find on the website. Click here for Disney Plus!

If it’s a nice night, walk your neighborhood as a group and wave at your neighbors. Say hello and make sure everyone’s okay. You will get exercise in the process. Exercise now equals moderate candy consumption later.

Create and deliver care packages for neighbors and friends who are vulnerable to Covid and cannot leave home. Offer to help with grocery shopping or other household chores. Call them once a week to check in on them. They will appreciate it and you will feel good knowing that you’re able to help someone.

Yes, the changes brought about by Covid-19 have been tough. Make sure to take the time to interact with family and friends safely to let them know they are loved and not forgotten. Find ways to have fun!